The origin of Birmingham Repertory theatre, commonly referred to as The REP, begins in 1913 with wealthy man Barry Jackson. He founded the original theatre to act as a home for his amateur drama group, Pilgrim Players. In 1971, the company relocated to the current Broad Street location which allowed for a stage of epic proportions. Theatre norms were rejected with an inclusive auditorium containing no balconies, pillars or boxes so that everyone shares the same space and view. As leaders in the production of new theatre, the REP supports the development of new ideas by commissioning work by newcomers as well as established professionals. Across the venue's 3 auditoria, it is common to find touring theatre and comedy alongside their own wide range of productions.